The Guardianship of Adults Act 2016 provides the legal framework for adult guardianship in the Northern Territory. The Act commenced on 28 July 2016 and established the independent Office of the Public Guardian and the statutory position of Public Guardian.
- applies to people with cognitive impairment from any cause
- introduced comprehensive guardianship principles
- allows for interim (urgent) orders to be made
- allows for the registration of interstate orders
- allows for orders for young people aged 17 for when they turn 18.
The Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal receives guardianship applications and decides guardianship orders.
Please see our fact sheets: