Go to top of page

To apply for guardianship you need to fill out an ‘Application for Guardianship Order’ (AG1) form available on the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal website. You will also need to gather some evidence of the adult’s impaired decision making capacity, such as a recent medical or psychological assessment report. Once an application is received the NT Civil and Administrative Tribunal will set up a hearing. The person with impaired capacity, the person making the application and any other interested people with concern for the adult should come to the hearing. At the hearing those present will be invited to speak about the person’s decision-making capacity. They will also be asked if the person needs a guardian.

If you would like to talk to someone about guardianship please call 1800 810979 or view our  Applying for Guardianship fact sheet.