How do you become a guardian?
To become a guardian you must:
- be aged 18 years or older
- be suitable and able to undertake the role
- make an application or have someone else make an application to the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- be legally appointed by the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal and
- agree to be a guardian.
Once appointed you will remain a guardian until one of the following occurs:
- your appointment ends
- you resign
- the order is changed
- the represented adult passes away.
If you are unsure if a guardianship order is in place or need a copy of the order, you can contact the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal on 1800 604 622.
If you would like to talk to someone about guardianship please call 1800 810979 or view our factsheet: What is a guardian?